O&R Prepares to Assign Additional Crews as Frigid Weather Arrives
Due to the extreme cold weather predicted for tonight through Saturday, O&R plans to field extra gas and electric crews during that period to address any service issues that arise on the electric and gas systems.
Out of an abundance of caution, O&R also plans to activate extra Customer Service staff tonight through Saturday to provide additional coverage.
An arctic cold front is forecast to spread through the region this morning into Saturday. This frigid front’s temperatures will rival those of the coldest days so far this winter with temperatures 15 to 25 degrees below normal for today and Saturday.
Today’s evening low will range from 4 to 10 degrees. Saturday morning’s low is due to be between minus 3 degrees and 5 degrees. The afternoon high is expected to rise to from between 23 degrees and 28 degrees.
Winds will become breezy behind the frontal passage, peaking between 7 a.m. today through after midnight Saturday. Sustained winds during this period will range from 10 mph to 20 mph with gusts from 30 mph to 40 mph. After midnight to noon Saturday, sustained winds will range from 10 mph to 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph.
The cold spell will be short-lived. By Sunday, clouds will gather and temperatures will rebound to the mid-40s by the afternoon.
O&R gas and electric facilities are designed to withstand extreme temperatures. And O&R’s cold weather operations preparations, including deploying more gas and electric crews and Customer Service representatives for tonight through Saturday, have been extensive.
How to Report an Outage
If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it. You can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
· At www.oru.com/reportoutage from any computer or web-based mobile device.
· O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device --- download via Apple Store or Google Play.
· Text messaging is not available during this event.
For the latest information about power outages, please view O&R’s Outage Map.
For a brief video that provides a step-by-step guide to the Outage Map’s basic operation:
Manage Energy Use
Orange & Rockland (O&R) reminds customers to conserve energy this month because winter energy costs are running higher this year than they did a year ago.
The best strategy for Orange & Rockland’s approximately 233,000 electric and 130,000 natural gas customers to achieve that goal is to carefully manage their energy use. Customers can save money and energy by using these tips:
· Set thermostats at the lowest comfortable temperature. Whether you are using a gas furnace or an electric heat pump, each degree lower decreases heating costs.
· Make sure the thermostat is not affected by cold drafts or direct heat sources (like a working fireplace) that could skew the readings.
· Use weather-stripping at all attic stairwells and access openings for tight insulation.
· Stop cold air infiltration from electric switch and plug outlets by using draft blockers.
· Open curtains and/or shades of east, south and west-facing windows on sunny winter days to let the sun help you heat your home. Close them at night. Keep draperies closed all day on north-facing windows.
· Make sure heating vents are not blocked by furniture, carpeting or anything else that could obstruct the flow of heat.
· Insulate hot-water pipes and warm-air ducts that pass through unheated areas. Clean or replace filters for your hot-air furnace and heat-pump.
Orange & Rockland recognizes that high energy costs are a hardship for consumers across the United States, including in the New York region, and wants to help customers manage their bills during the winter heating season.
The company offers Tips for Lowering Your Energy Bill and a number of Payment Plans and Assistance, including Budget Billing, which smooths customer’s costs out throughout the year. The company encourages customers to check out its energy efficiency incentives for upgrades customers make to their homes. Rebates, Incentives, and Tax Credits.
Also, the company offers help for customers who are struggling with their bills. Orange & Rockland offers payment plans Payment Plans and Assistance, so that customers can pay off balances over time, rather than all at once.
Energy Prices Are Rising Across the U.S.; Here’s a Guide on How Customers Can Manage Their Winter Bills
· Spread payments out evenly across the year. A Budget Billing Plan Payment Plans and Assistance allows you to avoid large month-to-month changes in energy costs.
· Consider a payment agreement. A Payment Agreement can help you pay down an outstanding balance in manageable, monthly installments.
· Check your benefits. Find information about governmental assistance programs, such as Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Customers enrolled in assistance programs may be eligible for discounts on their energy bills through Payment Plans and Assistance.
· Go energy efficient. Upgrade your lights, thermostats, and other appliances through our Rebates, Incentives, and Tax Credits exclusive to our customers.
· Manage your use. Register for My Account and log in via oru.com.com or oru. mobile app for an in-depth look at your hourly energy use.
· Get customized tips. Estimate Your Energy Usage can give you personalized tips and suggestions to help you improve efficiency and control costs this winter— and all year long.
· Choose your energy supplier. Orange & Rockland does not generate energy. We provide customers their energy at the same wholesale rate that we pay for it and don’t make a profit on supply costs. Customers can research and Shop for Energy Suppliers.
About Orange & Rockland
Orange and Rockland Utilities (O&R) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc. (Con Edison) (NYSE: ED), one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies. Orange & Rockland is a regulated electric and gas utility that serves approximately 244,000 electric customers and 131,460 natural gas customers in New York. For additional information about O&R, please visit O&R’s Web site at www.oru.com.
Orange & Rockland serves the following communities in New York: Airmont, Bloomingburg, Blooming Grove, Chester Town, Chester Village, Chestnut Ridge, Clarkstown, Crawford, Deerpark, Florida, Forestburgh, Goshen Town, Goshen Village, Grand View, Greenwood Lake, Greenville, Harriman, Haverstraw Town, Haverstraw Village, Highland Falls, Highlands, Hillburn, Kaser, Kiryas Joel, Lumberland, Mamakating, Middletown, Minisink, Monroe Town, Monroe Village, Montebello, Mount Hope, New Hempstead, New Square, Nyack, Orangetown, Otisville, Palm Tree, Piermont, Pomona, Port Jervis, Ramapo, Sloatsburg, South Blooming Grove, South Nyack, Spring Valley, Stony Point, Suffern, Tuxedo Town, Tuxedo Park, Unionville, Upper Nyack, Wesley Hills, Wallkill, Warwick Town, Warwick Village, Washingtonville, Wawayanda, West Haverstraw, Woodbury, Woodbury Village, Wurtsboro.