O&R Adds More Company, Mutual Aid Crews to Repair Storm Damage
O&R today mobilized its full complement of company and contractor overhead line technicians and tree removal experts, and hired another 125 overhead line technicians to expedite electric service restoration to the 5,700 remaining customers whose power was knocked out by the snow and ice storms that had battered the area since Sunday.
Damage assessment, site safety, customer service operations and the wide array of O&R teams that support those functions have already been deployed to aid in the restoration effort.
The hardest hit areas this morning are in Greenwood Lake, West Milford, Monroe and Deerpark. O&R crews have worked since Sunday to repair damaged equipment and restore electricity to over 20,000 customers throughout O&R’s service area. Last night crews were removed from areas in Warwick, Greenwood Lake and Tuxedo due to extremely dangerous working conditions caused by following trees and tree limbs.
O&R expects to restore service to the vast majority of affected customers by late tonight. The remainder of the affected customers are expected to be restored to electric service on Wednesday.
As of 7:15 a.m. today, there are a total of approximately 5,730 customers out of power at 251 locations in the following areas:
Rockland: (79 total) 74 in Suffern
Orange: (4,509 total) 1739 in Kiryas Joel, 992 Warwick Town, 714 in Deerpark, 531 in Warwick Village, 113 in Monroe Village, 112 in Monroe Town and 111 in Blooming Grove..
Sullivan: (389 total) 168 in Forestburgh, 195 in Lumberland and 26 in Mamakating.
Bergen: (52 total) 51 customers in Mahwah and 1 in Oakland
Passaic: (503 total) 18 in Ringwood, 485 in West Milford.
Sussex: (202) 181 in Montague, 21 in Vernon.
For the most up-to-date outage information, please go to O&R’s Outage Map.
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers more tips:
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car or make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Pole-top transformers --- those small grey-colored metal drums attached to the wires at the tops of most utility poles --- also should be avoided when they have been knocked to the ground.
- Portable generators pose a serious hazard if used improperly. They should be used and installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. A wrong connection could feed electricity back through the lines and endanger our repair crews. Never plug a generator into a wall unit, use it indoors or set it up outdoors near open home windows or air-handling vents.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications
- Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
About Orange & Rockland
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R), a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, is a regulated utility. O&R provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company) and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York
O&R serves the following communities in New York: Airmont, Bloomingburg, Blooming Grove, Chester Town, Chester Village, Chestnut Ridge, Clarkstown, Crawford, Deerpark, Florida, Forestburgh, Goshen Town, Goshen Village, Grand View, Greenwood Lake, Greenville, Harriman, Haverstraw Town, Haverstraw Village, Highland Falls, Highlands, Hillburn, Kaser, Kiryas Joel, Lumberland, Mamakating, Middletown, Minisink, Monroe Town, Monroe Village, Montebello, Mount Hope, New Hempstead, New Square, Nyack, Orangetown, Otisville, Palm Tree, Piermont, Pomona, Port Jervis, Ramapo, Sloatsburg, South Blooming Grove, South Nyack, Spring Valley, Stony Point, Suffern, Tuxedo Town, Tuxedo Park, Unionville, Upper Nyack, Wesley Hills, Wallkill, Warwick Town, Warwick Village, Washingtonville, Wawayanda, West Haverstraw, Woodbury, Woodbury Village, Wurtsboro.
O&R, as Rockland Electric Company, serves the following communities in New Jersey: Allendale, Alpine, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Franklin Lakes, Harrington Park, Mahwah, Haworth (part), Montague, Montvale, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan (part), Ramsey, Ringwood, Rivervale (part), Rockleigh, Saddle River (part), Upper Saddle River, Wantage (part), Vernon (part), West Milford (part), Wyckoff (part).
Was this information helpful?