O&R Provides Cool Tips to Beat The Heat, Save Money
Summer has arrived with a sauna-like simmer that promises to steam the region this week in high heat and sticky humidity.
To help cope with that sizzling forecast, O&R offers these cool tips to help its neighbors stay comfortable and save on energy costs.
Check out these cool tips:
• Turning down or turning off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work helps lower your energy bill.
• Setting your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health allow. Every degree you lower the thermostat raises your bill by 6 percent.
• Adjusting your air conditioner’s fan to a low setting can make you more comfortable. It’ll take longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in steamy air at a slower rate.
• If you have already received a new smart meter, you can take advantage of viewing your detailed energy usage and customized energy savings tips located in your online account at oru.com.
• Closing all doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running can make things cooler at a lower price.
• Cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity are best left for the cooler times of the day and night.
• Pulling your curtains and shades closed can help block out the heat.
• Covering liquid items in the refrigerator is best. The humidity they give off forces the refrigerator to use more energy.
• Placing the most used items in one place in the refrigerator helps keep the door open for a shorter period of time. For more cool tips, please visit O&R’s website at www.oru.com.
To help its customers use electricity this summer as wisely as possible, O&R is promoting a number of energy efficiency programs for residential, small business and commercial and industrial customers.
Among those programs is O&R’s online store. The My ORU Store is a digital marketplace that offers O&R’s residential customers a wide variety of energy-saving household products including LED lights, water/energy saving devices, advanced power strips, smart thermostats and connected home products. Home services are available from local customer-recommended contractors offering a/c tune ups and thermostat installations. The My ORU Store makes saving energy and money, both easy and affordable.
Eligible New York customers can receive instant rebates when they purchase energy-saving products and services on the My ORU Store and can receive additional rebates when they enroll their smart thermostat in O&R’s innovative Bring Your Own Thermostat program.
You also can save energy and money by replacing old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances. Replacing an old central air conditioner with a high-efficiency one can also reduce your energy usage and cooling costs by at least 30 percent. Also, O&R will pay a $500 rebate to customers who upgrade to a high-efficiency central air conditioner or heat pump, and heat pumps may even qualify for additional rebates.
O&R has prepared to meet high summer demand for electricity with continued investments in projects that improve electric service reliability and the further development of energy efficiency programs that help customers use less energy, save money and reduce their carbon footprint.
To prepare for this summer’s peak demands for electricity, O&R has made investments totaling over $145 million this year to fortify and improve the reliability of its electric system. That investment builds on the nearly $1 billion O&R has invested over the past 10 years on electric system maintenance and reliability projects.
Electric supplies are sufficient to meet the projected demand for electricity this week, and O&R crews are ready to respond to any outages that occur.
If you have a power outage, you can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
• At www.oru.com from any computer or web-based mobile device.
• O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
• Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
• Call 1-877-434-4100.