O&R Warns of Carbon Monoxide Danger

O&R is urging its customers not to use natural-gas powered kitchen ovens or ranges to heat their homes. Using these cooking appliances for heating creates a significant risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Further, O&R warns against using charcoal grills indoors for heating or cooking because of the CO risk that also creates. The same warning applies to fireplaces that are not properly ventilated and portable electric generators.

 

Seven residents of a Monsey house were reportedly hospitalized Monday after being sickened by exposure to carbon monoxide fumes. The residents were reportedly using an improperly vented portable electric generator indoors to power the dwelling and pans of burning charcoal indoors to provide heat.

 

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is invisible, odorless and tasteless. It is formed by the incomplete burning of fuels such as heating oil, wood, gasoline, natural gas, propane and charcoal.

 

Breathing even small amounts of carbon monoxide can result in headaches, dizziness and nausea. Prolonged exposure can result in more severe illness, or even death.

 

To further do your part to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, never leave a vehicle or gasoline-powered equipment running in a garage, even with the garage door opened.

Was this information helpful?