O&R Declares Storm Watch, Prepares for Heavy Weather
O&R has declared a Storm Watch as high, gusty winds and heavy rains, are expected to lash the region late Friday and through the day on Saturday this coming weekend.
Severe storm activity ---- especially as most of the leaves are still on the trees --- has the potential to cause tree, utility pole and power line damage, and, as a result, widespread electric service interruptions.
O&R is ready to repair immediate storm damage and restore service as needed.
O&R’s emergency storm response team, including company and contractor overhead line and tree removal crews, customer service operations and the wide array of O&R departments that support those functions, is ramping up to prepare to repair damage and restore power as necessary.
Sustained winds Saturday are expected to range from 15 to 25 mph with gust to 45 mph. Heavy downpours are expected through the day with rain totals ranging from 0.50 inches to 2.00 inches.
As a result, O&R urges the public to put safety first if confronted by any weather-related electric system damage.
O&R advises the public to stay away from downed wires and transformers, and to take other safety precautions as needed.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
- The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
Was this information helpful?