O&R: Don't Be A Victim. Help Stop Green Dot Bill Payment Theft.
O&R does not accept bill payment for electric and gas utility bills by Green Dot or any other prepaid debit cards.
If you are called by a person identifying themselves as an O&R representative who demands immediate bill payment by a Green Dot or other prepaid debit card, hang up the phone.
The caller is trying to con you out of your money.
How do you know?
The Green Dot scam is run by a well-organized, professional, criminal enterprise. These thieves steal your money for a living. In this scam, the criminal who calls you claims that your O&R bill is overdue and demands that you immediately pay that bill or he will shut off your electric and gas service that very same day.
You cannot pay an O&R bill with a Green Dot or other prepaid debit card so the caller demanding that you do so is a crook trying to steal your money.
The Hudson Valley is suffering from a rash of these phony-bill payment schemes, and O&R is warning its customers about this fraudulent activity.
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from O&R or Rockland Electric stating that a payment is required within hours and threatening to immediately shut off your service, O&R urges you to:
- Hang Up – Disengage so you’re not further subject to the crook’s “sales pitch.”
- Stay Alert – Orange & Rockland does not accept payment via a Green Dot or other prepaid, third-party debit cards.
- Remember – Disconnecting O&R service for non-payment of bills involves a multi-step process – including written communications over a period of time – that’s regulated by the NYS Public Service Commission and NJ Board of Public Utilities.
- Report the Incident – Make sure you hang up and then dial us directly at 1-877-434-4100. Do not redial the number that called you. That might reconnect you to the crook.
- Call the police and report the crime.
Was this information helpful?