Steady Restoration Progress Made Overnight; Work Continues In Hardest Hit Areas
O&R crews restored the majority of customers in Rockland and Bergen counties overnight. Approximately 11,000 customers throughout O&R’s service area remain without service. Restoration in Rockland and Bergen counties will continue today, as will efforts toward restoring service to the vast majority of customers in Orange and Passaic counties by this evening.
These efforts will be bolstered by the arrival of over 200 new contractor and tree crews, bringing the total of mutual aid and contractor resources to over 480 people.
Customers in Sullivan County should expect power to be restored by Sunday afternoon. O&R’s electrical system in that area was severely damaged and requires massive cleanup and reconstruction. Crews are working methodically there by first clearing and opening roads, addressing downed wires and then making repairs to transmission and distribution circuits.
To assist those customers who will be out of service for the longest amount of time, O&R has distributed 38,000 pounds of dry ice among the following locations:
2539 State Route 42
Forestburgh, NY 12777
Mamakating Town Hall
2948 Route 209
Wurtsboro, NY 12790
Fort Montgomery Municipal Parking Lot
130 Firefighters Memorial Drive
Fort Montgomery, NY 10922
Lumberland Town Hall
1054 Proctor Road
Glen Spey, NY 12737
Customers picking up dry ice should carefully follow the safe handling and disposal instructions printed on the paper bag containing the ice. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide and should be kept away from children and pets and used only in well-ventilated areas.
- As restoration efforts continue, the company reminds customers to:
- Put their safety and the safety of their children first at all times. Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with, including puddles and fences.
Notify the company if power is restored to their neighborhood, but not their home. All outages and safety concerns should be reported immediately.
There are several ways to report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
For the most current outage numbers and locations, visit O&R’s Outage Map.