O&R Repairing Storm Damage, Restoring Electric Service
O&R’s emergency storm response team is currently repairing storm damage and restoring service to approximately 667 customers whose electricity was knocked out this morning by high winds, driving rain and intermittent thunderstorms that are blasting through the area today.
As of 9:30 a.m., today, the current outages by county are:
Bergen – 323
Sullivan – 244
Orange - 28
Rockland – 72
For the latest outage numbers, please go to the O&R Storm Center at www.oru.com.
Because of this morning’s heavy rainfall, the National Weather Service has posted a flash flood warning through 11:15 a.m. today. Winds today are predicted to be sustained at 15 to 30 mph and gusts of 35 to 45 mph. Weather forecasters predict that the most serious wind threat will begin to taper off by mid-afternoon today but that the severe thunderstorm threat could continue through the evening.
As a result, O&R urges the public to put safety first if confronted by any weather-related electric system damage.
O&R advises the public to stay away from downed wires and transformers, and to take other safety precautions as needed.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.