What to Do Before Your Service Goes Out
If a major storm is headed your way, make sure you’re prepared for a power outage:
- Don't get caught in the dark. Have a lights-out kit that's well stocked and handy. Be sure to include flashlights, fresh batteries, and a battery-operated radio or TV so that you can tune to local stations for updates.
- Keep it cool. Turn your freezer and refrigerator to the coldest setting. It will help keep food cool longer if the power goes out.
- Watch your water. Stock up on bottled water, and fill up your bathtub and spare containers.
- Plug protection. Be sure to protect major appliances, computers, and other electronically sensitive equipment by either unplugging them or using a surge protector.
- Fill 'er up. Fill your car's gas tank ahead of time.