How to Prepare for a Power Outage
Make Sure Your Contact Information Is Up to Date
Let us know how to reach you in an emergency. You can update your phone number, email, and mailing address online.
Update Your Information
Get Text Updates
Sign up to let us know when the power goes out and get status updates on your cell phone. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to get started.
Download the App
Pay your bill, get energy insights, and report and check outages with your cell phone.
Download iOS App
Download Android App
Does someone in your household use life-support equipment?
We need to know so we can assist you before and during an emergency or power outage.
Or, call us toll-free at 1-877-434-4100, weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Telecommunications Relay Service is available for the hearing impaired by calling 711.
Home Prep Checklist
- Don't get caught in the dark. Have a lights-out kit that's well stocked and handy. Be sure to include flashlights, fresh batteries, and a battery-operated radio or TV so that you can tune to local stations for updates.
- Take charge. Make sure your cell phone and other electronic devices are fully charged. You may also want to pick up a portable charger to give batteries a boost when the power’s out.
- Keep it cool. Turn your freezer and refrigerator to the coldest setting. It will help keep food cool longer if the power goes out.
- Watch your water. Stock up on bottled water, and fill up your bathtub and spare containers.
- Plug protection. Be sure to protect major appliances, computers, and other electronically sensitive equipment by either unplugging them or using a surge protector.
- Fill 'er up. Fill your car's gas tank ahead of time.
Download the Emergency Action Planner (PDF).
Sign Up to Receive Outage Alerts
Log in to your account and select "Outage Texting" to sign up. You'll receive a text message from our short code 69678.Sign Up
If You Use Medical Equipment at Home
If someone in your household needs electric service to operate a life-support device, you can file a medical certificate from your doctor or local Board of Health with us to enroll in our special Life Support Equipment Program.See How
Was this information helpful?