What We’re Responsible for Repairing After Outages

If a catastrophic event damages the equipment that serves electric or natural gas to your home, learn what steps you'll need to take in order for us to restore your service.

Getting Your Electric Service Restored

  • If the building is damaged, arrange for it to be inspected by the local building inspector or code enforcement official.
  • Contact a licensed electrician to determine whether the building's electrical system has been damaged.
  • If you own the damaged equipment, have a licensed electrician make the repairs.
  • After repairs are completed, contact a licensed electrical inspector authorized by your municipality to inspect the building’s electric service.
  • Once the electric system passes inspection, the inspector or electrician will provide written notification, or cut-in card, to us. Upon receipt of the cut-in card, we’ll restore your electric service as soon as possible.
The following diagrams illustrate whether the customer or O&R is responsible for repair of damaged equipment.



Underground Pad Mounted

Getting Your Natural Gas Service Restored

Flooding often damages both gas appliances and electric service. And safety regulations require us to isolate affected appliances. But if we can’t enter your property, we must disconnect your natural gas service from the outside. If this is the case, follow the steps below to get your gas service restored:

  • Contact a qualified plumber to determine whether the building's natural gas appliances have been damaged.
  • If the appliance control valve or other electrical control components on an appliance were submerged, they must be replaced. We'll isolate and place a red tag on the affected appliances until they're repaired.

Once the necessary repairs have been made, we’ll unlock your natural gas service at no charge.

Call Us

What’s Ours, What’s Yours?

The following diagrams illustrate whether the customer or O&R is responsible for repair of damaged natural gas equipment.