O&R Cool Tips Offer Help in Coping With This Week's Heat
During this week’s sizzling weather forecast, most of us could use some advice to help us beat the heat. O&R’s offering some cool tips to help its neighbors try to stay comfortable and save money on energy.
- Turn down or turn off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work to help lower your energy bill.
- Set your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health will allow to help you save cooling money.
- Close all doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running to make things cooler at a lower price.
- Cook, bake, or perform other household activities that produce heat and humidity during the cooler times of the day and night.
- Pull your curtains and shades closed to help block out the sun and the heat of the day.
- Take advantage of your smart meter by viewing your energy usage and customized energy savings tips located in your online account at oru.com/myaccount
If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it. You can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
- oru.com/ReportOutage from any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device --- download via Apple Store or Google Play.
- Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
- Call 1-877-434-4100.
The heat, humidity, and increased demand for electricity to power air conditioners can pose challenges to the electric delivery system, in some instances, overheating electrical equipment and resulting in scattered power outages. O&R crews will be ready to respond to any, and all, issues that arise to make repairs and restore service.
Scattered thunderstorms are possible late this afternoon and into the evening today and those could result in downed wires and electric service interruptions. The company urges members of the public to stay away from any wires that are downed during storms. Call your local police department at 911 or O&R at 1-877-434-4100 to report downed wires.
To prepare for this summer’s peak demands for electricity, O&R has made investments totaling over $144 million this year to fortify and improve the reliability of its electric system. That investment builds on the nearly $1 billion O&R has invested over the past 10 years on electric system maintenance and reliability projects.
For energy efficiency tips, incentives and rebates, please visit oru.com/save.
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R), a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, is a regulated utility. O&R provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company) and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York.