Other Benefits and Incentives
Federal Tax Credits
All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars purchased new in or after 2010 may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500.
You qualify for additional savings just by living in our service area.
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection provides grants through the It Pay$ to Plug In program. Reimbursement grants are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to cover the total cost, including installation of eligible EVSE at workplaces, government and educational facilities, nonprofit organizations, parking facilities and multiunit dwellings.
Multi-Unit Dwelling Program
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) has opened the application window for the Multi-Unit Dwelling Electric Vehicle Charger incentive program. NJBPU Staff will accept applications until November 30, 2023, or until funds are exhausted.
Subject to the availability of funds, the Program will award incentives in the form of grants. Awards available under this Program include:
- $4,000 toward the purchase of a dual-port, networked Level-Two EV charging station.
- $6,000 toward the purchase of a Level-Two EV charging station for a MUD located in an Overburdened Municipality.
ZEV Sales Tax Exemption
ZEVs (Zero-emissions vehicles) sold, rented or leased in New Jersey are exempt from the state sales and use tax. The sales tax exemption does not apply to hybrid electric vehicles. N.J. Stat. § 54:32B-8.55
Charge Up New Jersey EV Rebate
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities offers state residents a rebate covering $25 per mile of all-electric range, up to $4,000 for vehicles with a MSRP under $45,000, or up to $1,500 for vehicles with a MSRP between $45,000 and $55,000. Vehicles with an electric range of over 200 miles are eligible for an incentive of up to $4,000, depending on vehicle MSRP. Visit Charge Up New Jersey for full program details.
Toll Discount Program
New Jersey Turnpike Authority's Green Pass Discount Plan provides a 10% discount on off-peak New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway toll rates for drivers of vehicles with a fuel economy of 45 MPG or higher and meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle standard. Vehicles must register with New Jersey E-ZPass®.
EV Charger Incentive
Customers looking to add an electric vehicle charger to their home can get an incentive of up to $250 toward the purchase and installation of in-home EV charging infrastructure through Charge Up New Jersey.
Locations ranging from boardwalks, parks, and other unique attractions, as well as overnight lodging establishments will have the opportunity to apply for up to six Level-Two chargers and two DC Fast Chargers through the program. The Program provides grants for chargers:
- Up to $5,000 for an eligible L2 charger, up to the cost of the charger; and
- Up to $50,000 for a Direct Current Fast Charger, up to the cost of the charger.
Applications are due November 30, 2023.
Clean Fleet EV Incentive
The Clean Fleet Electric Vehicle Incentive Program supports local and state governments as they transition their fleets to electric vehicles. Eligible entities include local schools, municipal commissions, state agencies or boards, state commissions, state universities, community colleges, and county authorities in addition to municipalities, municipal utility authorities, and state agencies. In FY24, non-profit entities were added as eligible applicants.
The Clean Fleet Program provides the following grants to eligible applicants accepted for participation:
- An incentive of $4,000 for an eligible light-duty Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV).
- An incentive of $10,000 for an eligible Class 2b-6 BEV.
- An incentive of $5,000 for an eligible public Level-Two Charger, up to the cost of the charger.
- An incentive of $4,000 for an eligible fleet Level-Two Charger, up to the cost of the charger and an incentive of 50 percent of the make-ready costs, up to $5,000.
- An incentive of $50,000 for an eligible DCFC, up to the cost of the charger.
- An incentive of $50,000, up to 50 percent of the make-ready cost of a fleet DCFC.
- Overburdened Municipalities are eligible for an additional 50% bonus incentive.
- Award caps are based on the population of the government entity, or the population served.
Applications are due November 30, 2023.