Use O&R’s Cool Tips to Help Handle Monday’s Severe Heat, Humidity
Because the final work week of July opens Monday with a forecast of more blistering heat and stifling humidity, O&R offers Cool Tips to help its neighbors cope with the challenging weather.
Here are O&R’s Cool Tips:
- Setting your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health allow will help you save cooling money.
- Closing all outside doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running can make things cooler at a lower price.
- Turning down or turning off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work helps lower your energy bill.
- Cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity are best left for the cooler times of the day and night.
- Pulling your curtains and shades closed can help block out the sun and the heat of the day.
And, if you have already received a new smart meter, you can take advantage of viewing your energy usage and customized energy savings tips located in your online account at www.oru.com.
Electric supplies are sufficient to meet the projected high demand for electricity Monday and O&R crews are ready to respond to any outages that occur.
O&R personnel follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and practice social distancing with each other and members of the public when responding to emergency calls. That’s an attempt to keep everyone safe from COVID-19. O&R also asks that members of the public remain a safe social distance from O&R crews, work sites and trucks. If you must speak to the crews, please maintain a social distance of at least six feet so that everyone’s health is protected.
If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it. To be sure the outage is reported, please check its status at www.oru.com and report it yourself. The more information we have, the better O&R can help you.
If you have a power outage, you can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
- At www.oru.com from any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device --- download via Apple Store or Google Play.
- Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
- Call 1-877-434-4100.
Difficulty Paying Your Bill?
Customers can manage their accounts via www.oru.com/myaccount.
O&R is offering continued support for customers during the COVID-19 emergency through a variety of programs designed to help you pay your bill and balance your energy costs. If you’re having difficulty paying your bill, please see our payment assistance options.
For energy efficiency tips, incentives and rebates, please visit www.oru.com/save.
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies. O&R is a regulated utility that provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company), and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York.