Rockland Electric Company: Power Prices Rise As Winter Nears; Planning Remains The Key To Saving Money, Energy
Rockland Electric Company is urging its 73,000 electric customers to use electricity efficiently this winter with bills projected to be 6% higher than last winter.
Approximately 2.8% percent of that increase is due to delivery rate increases and 3.2% is due to supply cost increases.
Rockland Electric Company does not set electric supply costs and does not make a profit on the supply. Rockland Electric Company provides the commodity to customers at cost.
As a result of those factors, the typical Rockland Electric Company residential customer using an average of 925 kWh per month this winter will see an average monthly bill increase from $165.14 to $175.09, or 6%.
With costs rising, the key to controlling home energy costs is managing usage. Take advantage of your smart meter by viewing your detailed energy usage on the MyAccount section of our website under billing and payment options.
To help Rockland Electric Company’s electric customers manage their winter energy costs, the company offers the following suggestions:
- Have a qualified heating contractor or plumber clean and inspect your heating system before winter sets in. An efficiently burning heating system not only makes your energy dollars go farther, but it’s cleaner and safer.
- Take steps to tighten up insulation by using weather-stripping at all attic stairwells and access points and stopping cold air infiltration from electric switches and plug outlets by using draft blockers can also pay off.
- Double check all points where heat enters a room to make sure, draperies, furniture or other obstacles do not interfere with the free flow of heat.
- Shop for energy-saving household products. Check out the My ORU Store www.myorustore.com. It’s a digital marketplace that offers O&R’s residential customers a wide variety of energy-saving household products including LED lights, water/energy saving devices, advanced power strips, smart thermostats, and connected home products. My ORU Store makes saving energy and money easy and affordable.
- View customized energy savings tips located in your online account at www.oru.com to more effectively manage your household energy dollars.
These tips, and other energy conservation and efficiency steps, gain greater importance if extreme cold weather, or other supply factors develop over the winter.
About Rockland Electric Company
Rockland Electric Company is a regulated electric utility that serves 73,000 customers in parts of Bergen, Passaic, and Sussex County in New Jersey. Rockland Electric is a wholly owned subsidiary of Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc., which in turn is owned by Consolidated Edison, Inc.
Rockland Electric Company serves the following communities in New Jersey: Allendale, Alpine, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Franklin Lakes, Harrington Park, Mahwah, Haworth (part), Montague, Montvale, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan (part), Ramsey, Ringwood, Rivervale (part), Rockleigh, Saddle River (part), Upper Saddle River, Wantage (part), Vernon (part), West Milford (part), Wyckoff (part).