Thank you for visiting the Orange & Rockland Website and reviewing our privacy statement.
How We May Collect and Use Customer Information
Orange & Rockland gathers and uses Customer Information for billing purposes, to inform you of products, and to address questions or concerns that you may have. We will use Customer Information to transact business with you, including responding to and fulfilling your requests.
We may use Customer Information for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities and as we believe to be necessary or appropriate to: (a) comply with applicable legal process or orders from our governing regulatory agencies including, among others, the New York State Public Service Commission, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission or the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; (b) respond to requests from government or judicial authorities; (c) enforce our terms and conditions of service and applicable tariffs; (d) protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (e) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (f) allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain. We also may use Customer Information to send you marketing communications, offers and promotions that may be of interest to you.
Periodically, we administer online surveys to gather information about your use of energy and related products and services, or to obtain your views on the usefulness of our Website. Participation in our online surveys is voluntary. If you choose to participate, the information you provide will be used to improve our site and the products and services we offer to you.
How We May Share Customer Information
We may disclose your Customer Information as follows:
- To our service providers or contractors in order to help us transact business with you, including processing your payment, answering your inquiry, promoting programs and associated product and service offerings, fulfilling your request for a product or service, or to otherwise conduct our business with you, including the payment of bills by you.
- To our affiliates for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- To other third parties to permit them to send information on services that may be of interest to you, or marketing communications, consistent with your choice regarding our sharing of your customer information with such third parties.
- We may need to share information, including Customer Information as we believe necessary and appropriate to: (a) respond to requests from governmental authorities and other partners to help detect, deter, and prosecute suspected criminal activity; (b) comply with applicable law; (c) comply with a judicial proceeding, a subpoena, a court order, regulatory directives or orders, or other legal processes or requests; (d) protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (e) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (f) allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- We may disclose Customer Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Other Information We May Collect, Use and Disclose
Orange & Rockland uses software to automatically collect information that does not directly identify you (“Other Information”) primarily for statistical purposes. This information, such as the name of the domain or IP address from which you access the Internet, the date and time when you access our Website, and the information that you view while using our Services, is typically used to monitor and compile statistics for use in evaluating and/or modifying our services, to improve content, and to diagnose and correct technical problems.
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Customer Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Customer Information.
Some of our Website pages may use "cookies" – small amounts of data that a Website can send to you and that is stored on your computer. Cookies allow our Website to provide you with customized information, or they may recall data so you don't have to retype it. We may use session ID cookies, which terminate when you close your Internet browser, or persistent cookies, a small text file stored on your computer's hard drive for an extended time. Persistent cookies can be removed by following Internet browser help file directions. You may also wish to refer to http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html. However, if you do not accept these cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Services. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer and you may need to log in every time you visit the applicable Services.
Orange & Rockland has implemented policy guidelines and reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to help safeguard Customer Information from unauthorized access or improper use. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the "Contacting Us" section below.
Orange & Rockland's energy delivery and customer service systems are part of the critical infrastructure of our nation, and we take our responsibility to protect our systems seriously. We work with our governmental and other partners to help protect our property and our nation. Any correspondence that you send to Orange & Rockland in electronic form, including email or any forms that you complete and transmit through this website, may be monitored for suspected illegal activity.
Your Choice Regarding our Use and Disclosure of your Customer Information to Third Parties
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Customer Information to other third parties for their direct marketing purposes (except in circumstances required by law, regulation or order). If you would prefer that we do not share your Customer Information on a going-forward basis with other third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by:
- unsubscribing from the list of customer information we would share with other third parties,
- unsubscribing directly from the emails sent to you by other third parties, or
- contacting our Customer Assistance hotline at 1-877-434-4100.
Links: This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Services link. The inclusion of a link on the Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates.Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Customer Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps or our Social Media Pages.
Children's Privacy: The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Services.
Corrections to Your Customer Information: If you believe any of your Customer Information that we collect or maintain is incorrect, please contact us in accordance with the "Contacting Us" section below.
Modifications to this Privacy Statement: Orange & Rockland may modify this Privacy Statement from time to time to reflect legal, technological, or other developments. Any modifications will appear on the Privacy Statement page at www.oru.com.
Contacting Us: If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, or if you believe that we are not following the Privacy Statement as it is set forth here, you may contact the Webmaster, or write to us at our mailing address: 390 W. Route 59, Spring Valley, NY 10977, Attn: Executive Communications Department.