Stifle the Summer's Swelter With Some Simple Steps for Savings; O&R Offers Tips to Beat the Heat, Control Cooling Costs
Summer’s sauna-like simmer scorches on unabated today, baking the region in sizzling heat and soupy humidity.
To help cope with that sometimes oppressive, summer broil, O&R offers these cool tips to help its neighbors stay comfortable and save on energy costs.
Check out these cool tips:
Here are more cool tips:
- Turning down or turning off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work helps lower your energy bill.
- Setting your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health allow. Every degree you lower the thermostat raises your bill by 6 percent.
- Adjusting your air conditioner’s fan to a low setting can make you more comfortable. It’ll take longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in steamy air at a slower rate.
- Closing all doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running can make things cooler at a lower price.
- Cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity are best left for the cooler times of the day and night.
- Pulling your curtains and shades closed can help block out the heat.
- Covering liquid items in the refrigerator is best. The humidity they give off forces the refrigerator to use more energy.
- Placing the most used items in one place in the refrigerator helps keep the door open for a shorter period of time.
You also can save energy and money by replacing old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances. Replacing an old central air conditioner with a high-efficiency one can also reduce your energy usage and cooling costs by at least 30 percent. Also, O&R will pay a $500 to customers who upgrade to a high-efficiency central air conditioner or heat pump.
If you have a power outage, you can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
- At www.oru.com from any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
- Call 1-877-434-4100.
O&R will have crews ready to respond to any power outages that occur during the extreme heat.