Beat the Heat, Control Its Costs with O&R Cool Tips
That’s what weather forecasters are saying about at least the first couple of days of this workweek as blistering heat and breathless humidity revisit the region, settling in as another sizzling summer heat wave.
To help cope with that oppressive summer swelter, O&R offers these cool tips to help its neighbors stay comfortable and save on energy costs.
Check out these cool tips:
Here are more cool tips:
- Turning down or turning off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work helps lower your energy bill.
- Setting your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health allow. Every degree you lower the thermostat raises your bill by 6 percent.
- Adjusting your air conditioner’s fan to a low setting can make you more comfortable. It’ll take longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in steamy air at a slower rate.
- Closing all doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running can make things cooler at a lower price.
- Cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity are best left for the cooler times of the day and night.
- Pulling your curtains and shades closed can help block out the heat.
- Covering liquid items in the refrigerator is best. The humidity they give off forces the refrigerator to use more energy.
- Placing the most used items in one place in the refrigerator helps keep the door open for a shorter period of time.
You also can save energy and money by replacing old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances. Replacing an old central air conditioner with a high-efficiency one can also reduce your energy usage and cooling costs by at least 30 percent. Also, O&R will pay a $500 to customers who upgrade to a high-efficiency central air conditioner or heat pump.
If you have a power outage, you can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through:
- At www.oru.com from any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
- Call 1-877-434-4100.
O&R will have crews ready to respond to any power outages that occur during the extreme heat.
Was this information helpful?