Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions About Filing a Claim

Upon return of the completed claim form with required documentation (i.e. proofs of loss, see question #4), we will initiate an investigation as to the merits of your claim. Each matter is investigated to determine underlying facts, as each decision is made based on the facts of the case being presented and a decision will be communicated upon completion of the investigation.
The actual owners of the damaged property or the person injured have the right to file a claim for their damages.
We encourage claimants to file as soon as possible.

Examples of proofs of loss include (but are not limited to)

Receipts: Enclose a written repair bill or estimate for each damaged item. If items cannot be repaired, enclose a statement from a repairman indicating the cost to repair them would exceed the cost to replace them, along with a copy of the original purchase receipt and a written estimate of the replacement cost. Depreciation will be calculated during our investigation.

Proposals/Estimates: A minimum of two estimates each should detail a breakdown of the materials and labor charges.

Color Photos: Photos should document the damaged items and overall area where damage occurred (both zoomed in and panned out at various angles).

Spoiled Food, Medicine or other Perishable Merchandise: Items should not be held for inspection, but disposed of according to good sanitary practice. Provide photographs, an itemized list and original or replacement receipts as proof of loss.

Proofs of loss are important to the investigation, as they prove existence of the damage and quantify the damages being sought. A final decision on your claim cannot be rendered until receipt of all required proofs of loss. Requests for such proof shall not be construed as an agreement or promise to pay a claim.

The investigation will begin upon return of the completed and signed claim form with required documentation (i.e. proofs of loss).

No, you do not have to wait for the completion of the investigation and Claimants should make repairs or replace items (whichever is the most reasonable/cost effective solution) to limit future damages and mitigate their losses. Please properly document any damages before repairs are made by taking pictures and obtaining estimates/invoices in order to support your claim.

O&R and Rockland Electric, like all other utilities, cannot guarantee continuity of service. This is outlined in our New York Tariffs for Electric Service, Section 10, Gas Service, Section 8, and New Jersey Tariff for Electric Service, Section 13. These Tariffs are filed with and approved by the States of New York and New Jersey. Therefore, O&R and Rockland Electric will not honor claims caused by certain occurrences that are beyond our control.

Some common claims excluded from our tariffs are:

– Weather-related conditions (e.g. ice, wind, lightning) and animal contacts (e.g. squirrels & birds)

– Equipment failure

– Damage to O&R / Rockland Electric equipment by others

– Accidents

Claims relating to damages or interruptions of service which result from acts of third parties, such as contractor dig-ins or motor vehicle pole hits, are not paid by O&R / Rockland Electric. Contractors hired by O&R / Rockland Electric are responsible for their own operations, and carry mandatory liability insurance. Claims relating to contractor activities will be referred to the contractor and/or its insurer for processing.

No. Monthly utility bills are for electric and gas services that you have already used. Customers are cautioned not to withhold payment of electric or gas bills pending a decision on a claim. Withholding payment for electric and/or gas services could ultimately result in a collection action, including the discontinuance of service.

We do not recommend contractors or repair agencies. Repairs must be performed by contractors or agents retained by the claimant. However, we may inspect or appraise damaged property to aid in our investigation/evaluation.