O&R: Power for Most in Rockland, Bergen Due on by 5 P.M. Today; Orange, Sullivan, Passaic, Sussex Due on by 11 P.M. Wednesday
O&R expects to restore electric service by 5 p.m. today to the vast majority of Rockland and Bergen County customers whose power was knocked out by the Sunday-Tuesday severe winter storms.
In the areas where storm damage was much more severe with far more power outages -- Orange, Sullivan, Passaic and Sussex counties -- the vast majority of customers are due to get their power back by 11 p.m. Wednesday.
O&R crews will be working through the night today, repairing damage and restoring service to the remaining 12,000 of the approximately 30,000 of its customers whose power was knocked out by the storms.
All available O&R company and contractor overhead line technicians and tree removal experts, and an additional 155 mutual aid overhead line contractors, most from Con Edison, are deployed through the area to restore service. O&R crews have been in the field around-the-clock since Sunday making repairs to storm damage.
Damage assessment, site safety, customer service operations and the wide array of O&R teams that support those functions also have been deployed to aid in the restoration effort.
The hardest hit areas are in Greenwood Lake, West Milford, Monroe and Deerpark.
In Deerpark, a community warming center was scheduled to open early this afternoon at the Sparrowbush Engine Company (Firehouse) located at 79 Main Street Sparrowbush, NY 12780.
Warwick planned to open a warming center today at the Senior Center, 132 Kings Highway, Warwick, NY 10990. Port Jervis has opened their warming center between the hours of 7 pm to 9 am. The warming center is located at St. Peter's Lutheran Church, 31 West Main Street, Port Jervis, NY 12771.
More storm-related outages continue to be reported today. For example, outages at 120 separate damage locations affecting a total of 1,000 customers were reported between noon and 2 p.m. today
As of 3:15 p.m. today, there are a total of approximately 11,982 customers out of power at 385 locations in the following areas:
Rockland: (27 total) Single-digit outage numbers in Ramapo, Spring Valley, Suffern, Clarkstown, Sloatsburg, Nyack, Haverstraw Village, Hillburn, Airmont, Orangetown and Chestnut Ridge.
Orange: (5,054 total) 1739 in Kiryas Joel, 1314 Warwick Town, 1,434 in Deerpark, 721 in Warwick Village, 421 in Waywayanda and 181 in Blooming Grove and 398 in Woodbury.
Sullivan: (3,725 total) 170 in Forestburgh, 261 in Lumberland, 574 in Wurtsboro and 2713 in Mamakating.
Bergen: (9 total) Single-digit outage numbers in Mahwah, Oakland, Old Tappan and Ramsey.
Passaic: (878 total) 18 in Ringwood, 860 in West Milford.
Sussex: (202) 181 in Montague, 21 in Vernon.
For the most up-to-date outage information, please go to O&R’s Outage Map.
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers more tips:
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car or make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Pole-top transformers --- those small grey-colored metal drums attached to the wires at the tops of most utility poles --- also should be avoided when they have been knocked to the ground.
- Portable generators pose a serious hazard if used improperly. They should be used and installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. A wrong connection could feed electricity back through the lines and endanger our repair crews. Never plug a generator into a wall unit, use it indoors or set it up outdoors near open home windows or air-handling vents.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications
- Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
About Orange & Rockland
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R), a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, is a regulated utility. O&R provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company) and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York
O&R serves the following communities in New York: Airmont, Bloomingburg, Blooming Grove, Chester Town, Chester Village, Chestnut Ridge, Clarkstown, Crawford, Deerpark, Florida, Forestburgh, Goshen Town, Goshen Village, Grand View, Greenwood Lake, Greenville, Harriman, Haverstraw Town, Haverstraw Village, Highland Falls, Highlands, Hillburn, Kaser, Kiryas Joel, Lumberland, Mamakating, Middletown, Minisink, Monroe Town, Monroe Village, Montebello, Mount Hope, New Hempstead, New Square, Nyack, Orangetown, Otisville, Palm Tree, Piermont, Pomona, Port Jervis, Ramapo, Sloatsburg, South Blooming Grove, South Nyack, Spring Valley, Stony Point, Suffern, Tuxedo Town, Tuxedo Park, Unionville, Upper Nyack, Wesley Hills, Wallkill, Warwick Town, Warwick Village, Washingtonville, Wawayanda, West Haverstraw, Woodbury, Woodbury Village, Wurtsboro.
O&R, as Rockland Electric Company, serves the following communities in New Jersey: Allendale, Alpine, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Franklin Lakes, Harrington Park, Mahwah, Haworth (part), Montague, Montvale, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan (part), Ramsey, Ringwood, Rivervale (part), Rockleigh, Saddle River (part), Upper Saddle River, Wantage (part), Vernon (part), West Milford (part), Wyckoff (part).
Was this information helpful?