Over 60 Innovative STEM Projects Win O&R Grants Totaling More Than $54,000; Awards Go to Help Support Science in Rockland, Orange and Bergen Schools
O&R today awarded grants throughout its service area totaling over $54,000 to support 63 creative, cutting-edge classroom projects that focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The winning projects featured subjects ranging from drones, robotics and hydroponics to solar and wind power studies.
O&R’s STEM Classroom Grants provided up to $1,000 each to educators at schools (pre-kindergarten through grade 12) and youth group leaders for the 2019-2020 school year in communities located within O&R’s service area. That encompasses: Rockland and parts of Orange and Sullivan counties in New York and parts of Bergen, Passaic and Sussex counties in New Jersey.
A complete list of this year’s winners is at the end of this press release.
Talented, hard-working, thoughtful teachers have crafted ambitious, interesting, ingenious, sparkling lesson plans that sizzle. These out-of-the-box proposals are designed to challenge students to think, plan, act and achieve --- and have fun doing it.
Follow this link to view a video of the Classroom Grant Program in action at Port Jervis Middle School’s seventh grade Life Science class.
O&R President and CEO Robert Sanchez said, “This year’s winning proposals are impressive in their scope, their sophistication and their application. They are certainly well designed to educate, guide and train, but they also engage, entertain and inspire. Those are all the hallmarks of a successful program.”
Over the past five years, O&R has awarded 197 STEM Classroom Grants totaling nearly $174,000. Those grants ranged from $175 to $1,000.
The grants were awarded based on a review of teacher-submitted proposals by the O&R STEM Education Advisory Council, a panel of educators and engineers assembled by O&R expressly for this purpose. This year, the Council reviewed 114 applications and awarded 63 grants.
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies. O&R is a regulated utility. It provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company) and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York.
The 2019-2020 winners are:
In Rockland, 33 grants were made totaling over $28,000. The winners are:
- New City Jewish Center Early Childhood Learning Center – New City – Laurie Schoolsky
- Bardonia Elementary School – Bardonia – Jonathan Ross
- Cornerstone Christian School – New City - Joan Gallucci
- Pearl River Middle School – Pearl River – Jessica Kearns
- Clarkstown Central School District – New City – Christina Amendola
- Pearl River Union Free School District – Pearl River – Kimberly Ulrich
- Kakiat STEAM Academy – Spring Valley- Stacey-Anne McDonald
- Haverstraw Elementary School – Haverstraw – Nicole Jessie
- Willow Grove Elementary School – Thiells - Rickey McGillicuddy
- Hempstead Elementary School – Spring Valley - Keri Prusinowski
- Sacred Heart School – Suffern - Ellen Priest
- Hempstead Elementary School - Spring Valley - Benjamin Toper
- Clarkstown Central School District – New City - Dean Gianakouros
- Haverstraw Elementary School – Haverstraw - Kevin McCauley
- R.P. Connor Elementary School – Suffern - Trisha Lanese
- Stony Point Elementary School – Stony Point – Jennifer LaBier
- Spring Valley High School – Spring Valley – Jannethe Pardo
- South Orangetown Middle School – Blauvelt - Louis Chugranis
- Haverstraw Elementary School – Haverstraw - Letitia Politi
- North Rockland High School – Thiells - Jeanne Maguire
- Pearl River High School – Pearl River – Kara Afanasewicz
- Fleetwood Elementary School – Chestnut Ridge - Janelle Simpson-Luna
- Sloatsburg Elementary School – Sloatsburg – Eleni Pallogudis
- Sloatsburg Elementary School – Sloatsburg --- Elvire Conklin
- Pearl River Middle School – Pearl River – Howard Baumel and Michael Herskowitz
- Felix Festa Middle School – West Nyack – Dan Neil
- Fieldstone Middle School – Thiells - David Guerrieri
- Albertus Magnus High School – West Nyack – Cristina Conciatori
- Clarkstown Central School District – New City - Amanda Solarish
- Tappan Zee High School – Orangeburg – Karen Connell
- St. Paul School - Valley Cottage - AnneMarie Romeo and Donna Cardinuto
- St. Paul School –Valley Cottage - Denise Snyder
- St. Paul School – Valley Cottage – Sr. Anne Schwartz
In Orange, O&R made 25 grants totaling nearly $22,000. The winners are:
- North Main Street Elementary School – Monroe - Katie Oppelt
- Washingtonville Senior High School – Washingtonville – Melissa Benjamin
- Monroe-Woodbury High School – Central Valley - John Nowicky
- Orange-Ulster BOCES – Goshen - Patrick Killian
- Pine Bush School District – Pakanasink Elementary - Circleville – Mariann Bott
- Burke Catholic High School – Goshen - David Bernhardt
- Smith Clove Elementary School – Central Valley - Aliza Whittel
- Fort Montgomery Elementary School – Fort Montgomery - Kristen Magyar
- Otisville Elementary School – Otisville – Chris Bennington
- Enlarged City School District of Middletown – Twin Towers Middle School – Paul Voigtland
- Middletown Day Nursery – Middletown - Kelly Jones and Sandra Wittens
- Middletown Day Nursery – Middletown - Janice Matles and Sandra Wittens
- Park Avenue elementary School - Warwick Valley Central School District - Brian Morgan
- Smith Clove Elementary School – Central Valley – Eileen Moschetti
- Port Jervis Middle School – Port Jervis – Megan Wieboldt
- New Beginnings Learning Academy – Middletown - Robyn Eherts
- Monhagen Middle School ---Middletown---Shanna Wilkin and Emily Soper
- S.S. Seward Institute – Florida --- Lynn McGovern
- 4-H Orange County Cooperative Extension – Middletown - DeAnna Sardella-Matthews
- Tuxedo High School/Tuxedo Union Free School District - Tuxedo – Marco Margotta
- Northern Academy of the Arts –Middletown - Jim Luan
- Northern Academy of the Arts - Middletown – Wendyi Wang
- Boy Scouts Troop 4, Woodbury, Woodbury Lions – Central Valley - Mindert Poutsma
- Middletown High School – Middletown - Thomas Blon
- Middletown High School – Middletown – Elle O’Connor
In Bergen, O&R made 5 grants totaling over $4,154.50. The winners are:
- Norwood Middle School – Norwood – Aaron Gulko
- Daisy Girl Scout Troop 97479 – Oakland - Lisa Conforti
- Memorial Elementary School –Montvale - Debbie Katz
- Northvale Schools – Northvale – Jodi Sardanis
- Academies at Gerrard Berman Day School –Oakland - Sheila Barbach and Robin Kelly
Was this information helpful?