STORM ALERT - O&R: Crews and Storm Support Teams Remain Ready To Respond To Outages
O&R, mutual aid and contractor crews are staged and ready to respond to outages that occur as a result of the heavy wind and rain moving though the area.
Since early this morning, just over 3,000 customers lost power as a result of the storm. The majority of those customers have been restored.
Winds are expected to continue through Saturday, ranging from 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. In addition to its company crews, O&R has secured an additional 35 mutual aid crews.
O&R urges the public to put safety first if confronted by any weather-related electric system damage. That means stay away from downed wires and transformers, and take other safety precautions as needed.
Text Us If You’re Out
If you experience a power outage, do not assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. Be sure to report your outage.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
- The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
Was this information helpful?