O&R Declares Storm Watch As Severe Weather Approaches East Coast
O&R has declared a company-wide Storm Watch today in anticipation of a significant storm system affecting the region later this week as a result of Hurricane Florence’s predicted landfall in the Carolinas Thursday evening.
There are no severe weather emergencies on the O&R system currently, but O&R has been monitoring the movements of Hurricane Florence as it approaches the East Coast.
Out of an abundance of caution, O&R’s Storm Function coordinators have been ordered to begin preliminary preparations to ready their organizations for the possibility of activation. O&R’s first-response organizations have begun reviewing weekend work schedules, checking warehouse inventory and inspecting vehicles so that if mobilization is necessary, they’ll be ready.
Severe storm activity has the potential to cause power pole and line damage, and, as a result, widespread electric service interruptions.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to the O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.