O&R Awards 14 Orange County Schools' STEM Projects Grants Totaling Nearly $12,500
O&R today awarded grants throughout its service area totaling over $35,000 to support 41 creative, cutting-edge classroom projects that focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Projects from 14 Orange County school were awarded nearly $12,500.
The winning projects featured subjects ranging from drones, robotics and hydroponics to solar and wind power studies, forensics and humming birds.
O&R's STEM Classroom Grants provide up to $1,000 each to educators at schools (pre-kindergarten through grade 12) and youth group leaders for the 2018-2019 school year in communities located within O&R's service area. That encompasses: Rockland and parts of Orange and Sullivan counties in New York and parts of Bergen, Passaic and Sussex counties in New Jersey.
A complete list of this year's Orange County winners is at the end of this press release.
Talented, hard-working, thoughtful teachers have crafted ambitious, interesting, ingenious, sparkling lesson plans that sizzle. These out-of-the-box proposals are designed to challenge students to think, plan, act and achieve — and have fun doing it.
View a video of the Classroom Grant Program in action.
O&R President and CEO Robert Sanchez said, "This year's winning proposals are impressive in their scope, their sophistication and their application. They are certainly well designed to educate, guide and train, but they also engage, entertain and inspire. Those are all the hallmarks of a successful program."
Since the program's inception four years ago, O&R has awarded 134 STEM Classroom Grants Grants totaling nearly $123,000.
The grants were awarded based on a review of teacher-submitted proposals by the O&R STEM Education Advisory Council, a panel of educators and engineers assembled by O&R expressly for this purpose.
Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. (O&R) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies. O&R is a regulated utility. It provides electric service to approximately 300,000 customers in southeastern New York State (where its franchise name is Orange & Rockland) and northern New Jersey (where it’s Rockland Electric Company) and natural gas service to approximately 130,000 customers in New York.
In Orange County, O&R made 14 grants totaling nearly $12,500. The 2018 winners are:
- Bright Beginnings Pre-School – Warwick - Pauline Corti
- Middletown Day Nursery – Middletown – Kelly Jones, Sandra Wittens
- Monroe-Woodbury Middle School – Central Valley – Jodi Cavanaugh
- North Main Elementary School – Monroe – Cathy McGowan, Ginny LoBrutto
- North Main Street Elementary School – Monroe - Katie Oppelt
- Otisville Elementary School – Otisville - Chris Bennington
- Otisville Elementary School – Otisville – Shirley Wippel
- Pakanasink Elementary School – Circleville - Suzanne Schwartz
- Pine Bush Elementary School – Pine Bush - Darcy Kocsis
- Port Jervis Middle School – Port Jervis – Megan Weieboldt
- S. S. Seward Institute – Florida – Lynn McGovern, Andrew Layton
- Smith Clove Elementary – Central Valley – Eileen Moschetti
- Tuxedo High School/STEM Academies - Tuxedo Park – Marco Margotta
- Tuxedo Park School – Tuxedo Park – Christopher Grasso
Was this information helpful?