O&R Zeroes in on Completing Power Restoration with Support From Additional Mutual Aid Crews
Over 220 additional mutual aid line technicians are working this morning to help O&R restore service to the 11,000 customers who remain without electricity as a result of destructive, back-to-back nor’easters.
These technicians arrived last night, bringing O&R’s field force of line, tree, single service, damage assessment and site safety personnel to approximately 950 – representing the largest restoration contingent O&R has deployed to the field since Hurricane Sandy.
While O&R focused on completing substantial and widespread tree removal and line repairs in Sullivan County, NY, the area hardest hit by Winter Storm Riley’s damaging winds, a second nor’easter moved through the service territory dumping over a foot of heavy, wet snow, which downed trees onto poles and lines. Winter Storm Quinn caused the greatest damage in Bergen County, NJ, and Rockland County, NY.
With the support of additional mutual aid assistance, O&R is aiming to complete power restoration in Sullivan and Bergen counties by midnight Sunday night and also expects to have the vast majority of Rockland customers restored by then.
As restoration operations continue, customers are reminded to please:
- Be especially mindful of the potential for downed lines to be buried beneath snow.
- Put your safety and the safety of your children first at all times. Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with, including puddles and fences.
- Never touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free at 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it, or that someone else will report it. Also, notify the company if power is restored to your neighborhood, but not your home. All outages and safety concerns should be reported immediately.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com/outage from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
Was this information helpful?