O&R Works to Safely Restore Service in the Aftermath Of Violent, Back-to-Back Storms
As O&R continued efforts to restore electricity in Sullivan County, NY – the area hardest hit by Winter Storm Riley – the company today assessed and began repairing significant, additional damage caused by Winter Storm Quinn.
Quinn’s wet, dense snow had the most devastating impact on Bergen County, NJ, and Rockland County, NY, where snow yesterday accumulated as fast as three inches an hour.
So far, O&R crews have restored electricity to approximately 35,000 customers affected by Winter Storm Quinn. The company this evening continues to work in partnership with state and local emergency leaders to prioritize power restoration to the 27,000 customers who remain out of service. Damage assessors and emergency response planners are also working to establish estimated restoration times for these customers.
So, drivers, take a moment to review some tips from the American Society of Safety Engineers for drivers to navigate work zones more safely:
- Drive carefully and slowly through the construction site.
- Keep an eye out for workers in the street, their equipment and their vehicles.
- Pay close attention and follow directions on work zone signs and traffic instructions from flaggers or workers.
- Watch for stopped or slowing traffic. Do not tailgate.
- Stay in your lane. Keep track of warning flares, cones and barricades that mark the work zone. Do not drive over flares or cones, and do not attempt to move barricades.
- Do not pull out of your lane into oncoming traffic in an attempt to bypass work zone traffic.
- Do not resume your normal speed until you emerge completely out of the work zone area. Use extra caution when driving through a work zone at night.
- Use extra caution when driving through a work zone at night.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com/outage from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.
Was this information helpful?