O&R: Heating With Stove Creates Carbon Monoxide Danger

As the recovery continues from severe damage caused by Friday’s destructive winter nor’easter, O&R urges its customers not to use natural-gas powered kitchen ovens or ranges to heat their homes because using these cooking appliances for heating creates a significant risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Further, O&R warns against using charcoal grills indoors for heating or cooking because of the CO risk that also creates. The same warning applies to fireplaces that are not properly ventilated.

 

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is invisible, odorless and tasteless. It is formed by the incomplete burning of fuels such as heating oil, wood, gasoline, natural gas, propane and charcoal.

 

Breathing even small amounts of carbon monoxide can result in headaches, dizziness and nausea. Prolonged exposure can result in more severe illness, or even death.

 

The signs of a CO problem are stale, stuffy air and high indoors humidity, fallen soot from a fireplace chimney or furnace flue and no draft in the chimney or flue.

 

To further do your part to reduce carbon monoxide poisoning never leave a vehicle or gasoline-powered equipment running in a garage, even with the garage door open and operate a portable electric generator outdoors away from air intakes to the building.

 

O&R urges its customers to always put safety first. Anyone who smells natural gas should leave the area immediately and call O&R’s emergency gas hotline at 1-800-533-LEAK (5325) or 911.

 

There are several ways O&R customers can report power outages and check electric service restoration status:

 

  • Go to www.oru.com from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
  • Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
  • Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
  • Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100

Was this information helpful?