O&R Focuses All Resources on Restoring 5,600 Customers Who Remain Without Power
O&R made steady progress overnight restoring electricity to most of its customers who lost power as a result of Winter Storm Riley. At this time, service has been restored to approximately 92,000 customers. Crews will continue to work around the clock to bring power back to 5,600 customers who remain out of service.
A National Guard unit dispatched by Governor Cuomo is supporting storm recovery in Sullivan County – the area of O&R service territory hardest hit by Riley. Efforts today will be centered on continuing to clear roads of downed trees, poles and wires, and making the repairs needed to get power back to all affected customers.
O&R’s storm response plans focus first on repairs that support public safety like clearing downed wires from roads. From there, the company dispatches resources to restore outages that affect the greatest number of customers in succession until all customers are back in service.
To assist those who remain without power, O&R yesterday provided 4,300 pounds of dry ice to Deer Park’s Town Hall, the Mount Hope Police Department in Otisville and the Forestburgh FD.
Dry ice remains available for pick-up today at:
2539 Route 42
Forestburgh, NY 12777
Customers picking up dry ice should carefully follow the safe handling and disposal instructions printed on the paper bag containing the ice. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide and should be used only in well-ventilated areas and kept away from children and pets.
O&R continues to remind customers to:
- Put their safety and the safety of their children first at all times. Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with, including puddles and fences.
- Notify the company if power is restored to their neighborhood, but not their home. All outages and safety concerns should be reported immediately.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com/outage from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
Was this information helpful?