In Storm’s Wake, O&R Warns of Carbon Monoxide Danger

As its crews continue to repair damage from Friday’s winter nor’easter and restore power, O&R is urging its customers not to use natural-gas powered kitchen ovens or ranges to heat their homes. Using these cooking appliances for heating creates a significant risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Further, O&R warns against using charcoal grills indoors for heating or cooking because of the CO risk that also creates. The same warning applies to fireplaces that are not properly ventilated.


O&R has restored electric service to approximately 56,000 customers who lost power as a result of the severe storm. About 22,000 customers are currently without power from storm damage. Crews will continue to work around-the-clock through the weekend and beyond if necessary until all service is restored.


Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is invisible, odorless and tasteless. It is formed by the incomplete burning of fuels such as heating oil, wood, gasoline, natural gas, propane and charcoal.


Breathing even small amounts of carbon monoxide can result in headaches, dizziness and nausea. Prolonged exposure can result in more severe illness, or even death.


To further do your part to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, never leave a vehicle or gasoline-powered equipment running in a garage, even with the garage door open and operate a portable electric generator outdoors away from air intakes to the building.


O&R urges its customers to always put safety first. Anyone who smells natural gas should leave the area immediately and call O&R’s emergency gas hotline at 1-800-533-LEAK (5325) or 911.


There are several ways O&R customers can report power outages and check electric service restoration status:

  • Go to O&R website from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
  • Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
  • Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or

Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100

Was this information helpful?