O&R Crews Working Around the Clock to Restore Power – Affected Customers May Need to Plan for Multi-Day Outage
O&R company and contractor overhead line and tree crews are working through the night to assess damage and restore service to customers affected by today’s destructive nor’easter.
Winds of up to 50 mph continue to down trees, causing additional outages. So far, over 66,700 customers have been affected with approximately 29,700 customers restored to service and approximately 37,000 remaining without power.
Dangerous conditions have slowed damage assessment and restoration progress. Restoration times are being determined as damage is assessed. O&R will have more accurate restoration information to report tomorrow. At this time, O&R is preparing to sustain its restoration efforts through the weekend.
As a result, affected customers may need to consider making alternate arrangements to ensure their safety and comfort.
Customers should immediately report outages and safety concerns.
There are several ways customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com/outage from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Use the O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
The following video describes the typical storm repair and power restoration process:
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives. Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.