It’s A Scorcher!
Today is shaping up to be the hottest day of the week so O&R is offering some cool tips to help use energy wisely.
Check out these cool tips.
Here are more cool tips:
- Turning down or turning off air conditioning in your home while you are away or at work helps lower your energy bill.
- Setting your air conditioner to the highest temperature your comfort and health allow. Every degree you lower the thermostat raises your bill by 6 percent.
- Adjusting your air conditioner’s fan to a low setting can make you more comfortable. It’ll take longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in steamy air at a slower rate.
- Closing all doors and windows in your home while the air conditioning is running can make things cooler at a lower price.
- Cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity are best left for the cooler times of the day and night.
- Pulling your curtains and shades closed can help block out the heat.
- Covering liquid items in the refrigerator is best. The humidity they give off forces the refrigerator to use more energy.
- Placing the most used items in one place in the refrigerator helps keep the door open for a shorter period of time.
For more cool tips, please visit O&R’s website at www.oru.com.
You also can save energy and money by replacing old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances. Replacing an old air conditioner with a new Energy Star unit can reduce energy usage by at least 15 percent. Also, O&R will pay a $25 rebate to customers who buy a new Energy Star air conditioner.
Watch your e-mail for a special brief survey from O&R. The survey will be conducted this summer on very hot days when electric use is high. Please take the survey within 12 hours of receiving the e-mail invitation so that you provide the most accurate and timely information for the day.
If you have a power outage, you can report it and check to see when your lights will be back on through: