Power Restored to Over 12,500 Hit by Windstorm
O&R company and contract crews, supplemented by 60 more contract utility workers O&R hired to support its storm repair efforts today, have restored service to over 12,500 customers whose power was knocked out by high winds over the past 12 hours.
Those crews are still working to restore service to approximately another 530 customers whose power was also knocked out during that period.
The high, damaging winds that began raking the area overnight prompted O&R to upgrade its mobilization status from Storm Watch to Storm Alert early this morning and deploy all available field crews to repair damage and restore service.
A high wind advisory was in effect through the morning today. Wind gusts were reportedly clocked as high as 54 mph. in Newburgh early this morning. And, gusty winds so far have continued into the afternoon.
The following outage numbers are as of 2:30 p.m. today. For the most current numbers, visit O&R’s Outage Map at www.oru.com.
The current number of customers out of service by county and state are:
Bergen County, NJ — 13
Orange County, NY — 195
Sullivan County, NY — 39
Rockland County, NY — 285
Passaic County, NJ — 0
Sussex County, NJ — 0
There are several ways O&R customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach --- portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember: If the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage