All Crews Deployed to Repair Storm Damage, Restore Service
Because of the high, damaging winds that began buffeting the area overnight, O&R has upgraded its mobilization status to Storm Alert and is deploying all available field crews to repair damage and restore service.
O&R company and contract crews, supplemented by 60 more contract utility workers O&R hired to aid service restoration, will be working throughout the day to respond to outages as they develop.
Power to approximately 4,600 customers has been knocked out by high wind damage since 2 a.m. today. Of those, about 2,200 customers have been restored to service. A high wind advisory is in effect until at least 11 a.m. today. Wind gusts were reportedly clocked as high as 54 mph. in Newburgh earlier this morning.
The following outage numbers are as of 8:30 a.m. today. For the most current numbers, visit O&R’s Outage Map at www.oru.com.
Approximately 2,400 customers are out of service at this hour. The current number of customers out of service by county and state are:
Bergen County, NJ — 1,324
Orange County, NY — 555
Sullivan County, NY — 319
Rockland County, NY — 166
Passaic County, NJ — 14
Sussex County, NJ — 0
There are several ways O&R customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash or otherwise secure.
- f a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Have emergency equipment within reach — portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember: If the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
Was this information helpful?