O&R Offers Safety Tips As Winter Storm Approaches
With a winter storm bearing down on the area tonight, O&R is reminding its customers to put safety first when confronted by weather hazards and storm-related damage.
Icing conditions, heavy snow and high winds could snap tree limbs or topple trees onto power lines, causing customers to lose power. The resulting damaged equipment poses a potential safety risk. O&R urges customers to stay away from downed wires and transformers, and to take other safety precautions as needed.
O&R crews are ready to repair storm damage and restore service if necessary.
There are several ways O&R customers can report outages and check service restoration status:
- Go to www.oru.com from any computer or web-enabled mobile device;
- Download the O&R Mobile app through the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Text “OUT” to 69678 (myORU); or
- Call Customer Assistance at 1-877-434-4100
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity of the downed wire and keep pets on a leash.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car to make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Stock up on non-perishable food, bottled water, manual can opener, baby supplies and pet food. Set your refrigerator and freezer controls to their coldest settings. Fill the bathtub with water.
- Have emergency equipment within reach — portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Update your personal list of emergency phone numbers.
- If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. Let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember: if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
- If a family member relies on electrically operated medical devices, secure a portable generator or make alternate arrangements for care. O&R does not provide customers with generators.
- Keep at least a half-tank of gas in your car. Consider having extra cash on-hand, in case ATM machines don’t work.
- Learn how to manually open and close any electrically powered garage door, security door or gate.
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com/storms.
Was this information helpful?