O&R Offers Cool Hot-Weather Coping Tips to Save Energy, Money
As the weather promises to become increasingly hot and humid this week, O&R offers some cool tips to beat the heat and save energy and money.
O&R advises its customers to take steps through the week at least to most efficiently use energy this summer.
The top tip is a simple one: turn down or turn off air conditioning in empty homes while you are away or at work.
Install a timer or clock thermostat on your air conditioner so you can program it to operate and shut-off at pre-determined hours. That cools your home in plenty of time for your return but saves you from running it all day to cool empty rooms.
Here are some tips that will help you weather the heat during these steamy days:
- Set your air conditioner to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat drives your bill up by 6 percent.
- Plan cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity for the cooler times of the day and night.
- Use a portable or ceiling fan to circulate the pre-cooled air in your air conditioned home. A fan uses about 90 percent less energy than an air conditioner.
- In very humid weather, adjust your air conditioner's fan to a low setting. It'll take longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in steamy air at a slower rate and make you feel more comfortable.
- As the sun moves from east to west during the day, pull your curtains and shades on windows to block out the heat.
- In the refrigerator, cover liquid items. They give off humidity that forces the refrigerator to use more energy.
- Also in the refrigerator, place the most used items in one place so that the door will be open for a shorter period of time.
For more energy tips, please visit O&R's website at www.oru.com.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status through:
- www.oru.com from any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text messaging by texting "OUT" to 69678 (myORU) or
- Call 1-877-434-4100.