O&R Crews to Work Through the Night to Restore Power
July 27, 2012
4 a.m. --- O&R crews worked through the night and will continue through today to repair electric system damage resulting from yesterday’s early evening thunderstorm.
Electric service had been knocked out to approximately 13,600 O&R customers at nearly 140 different damage locations. O&R has about 300,000 electric customers.
About 9,700 customers remain out of service at about 75 different damage locations at this hour.
Here are the current numbers of customers out of service by county and their projected estimated service restoration times (ERT):
Sullivan County - 8,250 customers out of service - ERT July 27 10:30pm
Orange - 920 customers - ERT July 27 10:30pm
Passaic - 15 customers - ERT July 27 7am
Pike - 595 customers - ERT July 27 4:30 am
Rockland - 6 customers - ERT July 27 4pm
Bergen - 6 customers - ERT July 27 7am
To help its customers prepare to weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety's sake, don't touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Stock up on non-perishable food, bottled water, manual can opener, baby supplies and pet food. Set your refrigerator and freezer controls to their coldest settings. Fill the bathtub with water.
- Have emergency equipment within reach — portable radio, flashlights, candles and matches, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Update your personal list of emergency phone numbers. Keep O&R's toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
- If you experience a power outage, don't assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
- Remember, if the base station of your cordless phone plugs into the wall, your phone will be unusable during a power outage.
- If a family member relies on electrically operated medical devices, secure a portable generator or make alternate arrangements for care. O&R does not provide customers with generators.
- Keep at least a half-tank of gas in your car. Consider having extra cash on-hand, in case ATM machines don't work.
- Listen for storm alerts on the radio. In case of power outages, O&R will keep the stations updated on repair progress.
- Learn how to manually open and close any electrically powered garage door, security door or gate.
For more information, visit O&R's Storm Center.